Friday, June 3, 2011

Girls Only

We have an 8 hour ferry ride from Dubrovnik to Bari and I am enjoying the people-watching immensely. Not just any people.  Italian people.  Male Italian people.  Bob got all his ogling in on the topless beaches of Croatia and now it’s my turn.  A lady siting next to me on the deck begins smoking and I use this excuse to get up and move closer to Fabio. I am sure his name is Fabio.  Or maybe Antonio.  He is tall, dark and incredibly handsome, tastefully dressed and sitting with a not-too-attractive woman who is wearing a wooden rosary around her neck. 

In fact,there seem to be many women wearing wooden rosaries around their necks.  The men, on the other hand, clutch theirs, fingering the beads and praying.   Maybe there is something I don‘t know about this ferry.  Most likely the women are praying their men will grow to look like Fabio, and the men are praying for the same.  I noted that this ferry has two bars, two restaurants, and a chapel on board.  Several people are inside it, although I can’t tell if they are praying or just enjoying the fact that there are padded airplane chairs inside it, rather than the selection of hard benches outside.  There are also two shops, but I have somehow missed the wooden rosary store.  I will have to look further, in case an emergency arises.  The ship appears to have enough lifeboats but one can never be too sure about such things.  I have made a mental note of all the “muster” stations, where in the event of an emergency we are to gather to receive our allotted life jacket.  Uh Oh.  Stop typing.  Fabio-Antonio is taking off his shirt.  The whole deck is quiet.  He puts on his sweater.  Talk resumes.   Ahhhh.  The ferry’s engines are slowing and unfortunately I have to leave the inspiring Italian vistas and go below deck to my cabin to retrieve my luggage and prepare to disembark.  Italy, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment