Thursday, May 19, 2011

You've Come a Long Way, Baby!


On Sunday, May 22, 2011 Carena will graduate from the Mendoza College of Business at the University of Notre Dame, in South Bend, Indiana -- home of, well, home of not much but Notre Dame and the Target Superstore!  I thought I would take a few minutes to share some pictures with you in honor of this fine accomplishment. This picture was taken in 1954, when my mom graduated from high school - the Academy of St. Catherine's by the Sea in Ventura.  Don't you love the leg pose?  I remember my mom telling me once that she thought her slender ankles were one of her best features.  And look at that bouquet!  Even Miss America's is not as large! (Well, no, the bush in the background is NOT part of the bouquet).  I guess back in those days they didn't sell flowers in the Safeway.
Carena must have inherited the leg posing gene, because even at age 5 she had it down.  Although she doesn't have an impressively large bouquet of roses, she compensates by wearing an enormous hair bow, which alights as gracefully as an Amazonian butterfly atop her hyper-curled hair.  How did she know that in the year of her college graduation, some 16 years after this picture was taken, that enormous bows would be back in style?
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stopping to Smell the Chrysanthemums

I was chatting with Carena the other day when she was euphorically celebrating the completion of her last college final exam.  "Mom," she said, "I wish I didn't have to wait so long before starting my job!"  I was flabbergasted!  What kind of child had I raised?  What happened to the little girl who took a moment to sniff the artisticly arranged chrysanthemum driveway planting? OK. I admit, wanting to get on with things is more Carena's nature than looking for the side road to explore.  And the true confession:  I actually forced her to bend down and smell those damn flowers.  She wanted to play but I wanted the photo.  Further proof that "Do as I say, not as I do" will always lose out to "Children learn what they live".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing about Carena:  She is determined!  (Some would say Stubborn but I prefer Determined).  Just check out that look on her face in this picture.  At least I think that is a look of determination.  Hmm.  Or it could just be gas.  I wonder? 

No comments:

Post a Comment